Budda Amp Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Budda Amp Forum

Discussion of Budda amps

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SD 30 EL84 Recommendations?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
m@

SD 30 EL84 Recommendations? Empty
PostSubject: SD 30 EL84 Recommendations?   SD 30 EL84 Recommendations? EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 7:37 am

Hey guys-

LOVE my SD 30...got it about a month ago, and the honeymoon still continues. However, I'm looking for JUST a little more chime/ sparkle on the top end, and I've heard the the JJ's will do just that compared to the stock Groove Tubes.

Yes/ no? Other recommendations??
Back to top Go down
Ripix

PostSubject: Tubes   SD 30 EL84 Recommendations? EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 1:01 am

I've been using JJ's for 5 years now in my SD 30 and DS30 - great match in either.

Try talking with Bob over at Eurotubes.com. He's familiar with Budda amps and does a great job matching up pre and power section tubes to the sound your after. Make sure you converse with him either by email or phone so you and he can establish what you're after. I'd believe it if he took notes, he always seems to remember not only what I've tried but how I felt about the sound.

The JJ's I've used have the sparkle, even in the Drive channel. They generally are mid-thick, but so is the SD30 by nature. I like you can pummel the drive then kick up the treble on the EQ to get a cutting yet still smooth lead tone with overtones that really sing out. Roll back the volume pot and there's the chime for rhythm with some grit when you dig in yet it's still articulate. They also keep the SD30's low end tight like it should be.

Switching to the rhythm channel with the JJ's makes me feel simple I don't use it more - chime, grind and character. Magic in my PTP SD30, 5 years and counting. It's like a hot girl who just makes you want more of them even though you got one already.

I've tried Ruby's, brittle on the high end, low end flab-ish. Sovteks, flat, relatively. GT's, good second to the JJ's, I might like them as good or better if I used another axe (customized Ibanez Roadstar II's from '83) or played differently. I don't bother with NOS glass, if I'm missing something then I don't want to know, I prefer availability/repeatability over a six month long tube bender I can't relive.

-Rick
Back to top Go down
m@

PostSubject: Re: SD 30 EL84 Recommendations?   SD 30 EL84 Recommendations? EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 8:41 pm

Just got my JJ's from Eurotubes today. Very nice- added a little more brightness and chime, especially on the clean channel which is exactly what I was looking for.

It's not a dramatic change from the stock Groove Tubes, but it's enough that I noticed and liked it. The JJ's are staying, the GT's go in the gig bag as backups.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SD 30 EL84 Recommendations?   SD 30 EL84 Recommendations? Empty

Back to top Go down

SD 30 EL84 Recommendations?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Budda Amp Forum :: Budda Superdrive-
Jump to: