Budda Amp Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Budda Amp Forum

Discussion of Budda amps

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New amp... New to the Forum and a question.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
yardbird mac

New amp... New to the Forum and a question. Empty
PostSubject: New amp... New to the Forum and a question.   New amp... New to the Forum and a question. EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Greetings...

I bought my first BUDDA amp today, an SD-18 combo. I am extremely impressed with this (not so "little") amp. I'm 60 years old (as of six weeks ago) and I was looking for an amp that was smaller and lighter weight than my FENDER Pro Tube Pro Reverb amps, but still with a lot of tone and punch. If I ever get back into playing out again the BUDDA will definitely fit the bill for smaller venues.

FENDER amps have always been my favorite and the few amps that I've owned that were supposed to sound like a MARSHALL just didn't cut it (to me they always had either too much gain, or not enough gain - at lower volumes, with no low end punch or sweet spot. This amp, however, has the tone, tightness, the sweetness and "punch" I've been looking for in a non FENDER amp! I've read that these amps can sound like a MARSHALL Plexi!?

Now for the questions... The manual says to change out the tubes every six months. I practice at least 2 hours every day. The instructions do not mention anything about re-biasing after a tube change. Are these amps self biasing? If not, where will I find the information to re-bias?

Also... does anyone make a "dust" cover for these amps?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Lance-a-not

PostSubject: Re: New amp... New to the Forum and a question.   New amp... New to the Forum and a question. EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 8:10 am

yardbird mac wrote:
Greetings...

I bought my first BUDDA amp today, an SD-18 combo. I am extremely impressed with this (not so "little") amp. I'm 60 years old (as of six weeks ago) and I was looking for an amp that was smaller and lighter weight than my FENDER Pro Tube Pro Reverb amps, but still with a lot of tone and punch. If I ever get back into playing out again the BUDDA will definitely fit the bill for smaller venues.

FENDER amps have always been my favorite and the few amps that I've owned that were supposed to sound like a MARSHALL just didn't cut it (to me they always had either too much gain, or not enough gain - at lower volumes, with no low end punch or sweet spot. This amp, however, has the tone, tightness, the sweetness and "punch" I've been looking for in a non FENDER amp! I've read that these amps can sound like a MARSHALL Plexi!?

Now for the questions... The manual says to change out the tubes every six months. I practice at least 2 hours every day. The instructions do not mention anything about re-biasing after a tube change. Are these amps self biasing? If not, where will I find the information to re-bias?

Also... does anyone make a "dust" cover for these amps?

Thanks

The amp is a cathode bias... No need to take the amp to a tech

I haven't looked for a cover for mine, but I know Tuki makes good stuff

I hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
Riff Blister

PostSubject: Re: New amp... New to the Forum and a question.   New amp... New to the Forum and a question. EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 4:00 pm

I just got a cover for my SD45II head from these guys.

http://store.amplifiercovers.com/buddha.html

The one I got is not a padded one, just a dust cover.
It's still nice and heavy (material) so I think it will serve me well.
Tuki's are real nice too.

Enjoy that SD18. Great amp!
Back to top Go down
yardbird mac

PostSubject: Re: New amp... New to the Forum and a question.   New amp... New to the Forum and a question. EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 5:17 pm

I ordered one from TUKI a couple days ago. I haven't received it yet, but it looks good on the website.
Back to top Go down
Riff Blister

PostSubject: Re: New amp... New to the Forum and a question.   New amp... New to the Forum and a question. EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Yeah, my band mate has one for his Bogner and it is a good one.
Back to top Go down
cinimod8791

PostSubject: Re: New amp... New to the Forum and a question.   New amp... New to the Forum and a question. EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 11:46 am

yardbird mac wrote:
Greetings...

Thanks
As Lance-a-not said it is cathode biased which means that the plate voltage is fixed.

The only thing you need to be concerned with is getting a good matched set of tubes.

Also, I also recomend Sovteks. They are robust and can handle the higher voltage better then most other tubes.
Back to top Go down
cinimod8791

PostSubject: Re: New amp... New to the Forum and a question.   New amp... New to the Forum and a question. EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 11:47 am

Lance-a-not wrote:
yardbird mac wrote:

I hope this helps!

Hey Lance! How's that SD30 2X12 been treating you?
Back to top Go down
Lance-a-not

PostSubject: Re: New amp... New to the Forum and a question.   New amp... New to the Forum and a question. EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 11:52 am

cinimod8791 wrote:
Lance-a-not wrote:
yardbird mac wrote:

I hope this helps!

Hey Dominic, I hope you're well!
I almost got rid of it to fund a bigger SD, but i am going to wait till I can get two... I love the SD30,, it would be silly to get rid of it.

Thanks again!!
Back to top Go down
cinimod8791

PostSubject: Re: New amp... New to the Forum and a question.   New amp... New to the Forum and a question. EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 12:42 pm

Lance-a-not wrote:
cinimod8791 wrote:
Lance-a-not wrote:
yardbird mac wrote:

I hope this helps!

Hey Dominic, I hope you're well!
I almost got rid of it to fund a bigger SD, but i am going to wait till I can get two... I love the SD30,, it would be silly to get rid of it.

Thanks again!!
well if you find that you need to sell it in the future give me a heads up and I just might buy it back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New amp... New to the Forum and a question.   New amp... New to the Forum and a question. Empty

Back to top Go down

New amp... New to the Forum and a question.
Page 1 of 1