Budda Amp Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Budda Amp Forum

Discussion of Budda amps

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?

Go down 
+3
sickboy79
brentsp
dynac0mp
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dynac0mp

Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? Empty
PostSubject: Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?   Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? EmptySat May 03, 2008 7:35 am

I noticed that playing directly into the SuperDrive 18 that I didn't feel a need for effects. With my current amp, I notice that if I run effects in front of the amp, there is a significant amount of noise. I'm sure there are others whom are annoyed by this. (BTW, the effects I use are pretty high quality: DriveTrain II, Sparkledrvie, Barber TonePress, and a StroboStomp).

I think part of the allure of this amp is the *directness* of the sound. I wouldn't want to mess with that using effects (like compression, overdrive, or even reverb).

What do you think?

Last edited by dynac0mp on Sat May 03, 2008 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added more information)
Back to top Go down
brentsp
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?   Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? EmptySat May 03, 2008 1:28 pm

I run all my effects out in front into the clean channel and mines quiet as a mouse. Same with the loop if I end up using the Drive.
Back to top Go down
https://buddaampforum.forumakers.com
dynac0mp

PostSubject: Re: Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?   Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? EmptySat May 03, 2008 1:35 pm

BrentSP wrote:
I run all my effects out in front into the clean channel and mines quiet as a mouse. Same with the loop if I end up using the Drive.

Cool. Do you use any special cables? Are all your effects "true bypass?" Perhaps I just need to rethink this.
Back to top Go down
brentsp
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?   Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? EmptySat May 03, 2008 2:57 pm

dynac0mp wrote:
BrentSP wrote:

Cool. Do you use any special cables? Are all your effects "true bypass?" Perhaps I just need to rethink this.

I use all George L's and my chain is as follows, Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah > Maxon OD808 > Fulltone OCDv3 > Fulltone Fulldrive II > Boss TU2> L6 MM4 > Ernie Ball Volume > Boss DD5 delay > L6 DM4 > Budda SD30 input.
Back to top Go down
dynac0mp

PostSubject: Re: Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?   Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? EmptySat May 03, 2008 3:01 pm

BrentSP wrote:
dynac0mp wrote:
BrentSP wrote:

I use all George L's and my chain is as follows, Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah > Maxon OD808 > Fulltone OCDv3 > Fulltone Fulldrive II > Boss TU2> L6 MM4 > Ernie Ball Volume > Boss DD5 delay > L6 DM4 > Budda SD30 input.

Do you ever switch to the over drive channel on the amp? or do you mainly use the clean side plus effects? It sounds like you have enough headroom on the 30 watter to do that if you wanted. I was more than happy with the volume of the 18 watt that I tried a the store the other day.
Back to top Go down
brentsp
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?   Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? EmptySat May 03, 2008 5:38 pm

dynac0mp wrote:
BrentSP wrote:
dynac0mp wrote:
BrentSP wrote:

Do you ever switch to the over drive channel on the amp? or do you mainly use the clean side plus effects? It sounds like you have enough headroom on the 30 watter to do that if you wanted. I was more than happy with the volume of the 18 watt that I tried a the store the other day.

Yes, I do use the drive channel on some songs that are more raw but no effects. I mainly use the clean and the OD boxes for my medium gain tone. We use a lot of ambient tones and that DM4 sounds so much better out in front of the amp IMO.
Back to top Go down
dynac0mp

PostSubject: Re: Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?   Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? EmptySun May 04, 2008 7:28 pm

Thanks for that info. I'll experiment. I just placed the order for a Superdrive II 18W Combo. Can't wait.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sickboy79

PostSubject: Re: Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?   Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? EmptyWed May 07, 2008 10:36 am

I don't really use effects much (in fact I never have with my SD30) but, in general I prefer straight in (not using the loop).
Back to top Go down
smallbutmighty

PostSubject: Re: Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?   Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 12:18 pm

MY SD18 has me doing something I would never have imagined for myself: playing with zero effects. affraid

Occasionally I'll put a DD3 in the loop, or a Bad Monkey in front if I want to goose the input a little, or maybe a wah now and then, but I have no problem whatsoever going guitar>cable>amp.

A
Back to top Go down
Eddie V

PostSubject: Re: Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?   Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:06 pm

I run my pedal board thru the effects loop so I can use delay on the Gain side of the Budda. I think it sounds much better going direct into the Budda.
You hear more of the guitar and amp with out the tone change of the pedals.

I use George L's and quaility pedals Zvex>OCD>CoralFlange>Delay but there is a loss going straight into the front of the amp with the pedals.

The amp just sounds too sweet and I don't wanna miss a drop.
Back to top Go down
http://countylinerocks.com
StompBoxBlues

PostSubject: Re: Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?   Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 3:41 pm

hey...I know this thread was started (and finished) a long time ago, but I just wanted to say..
I picked up an SD-18 combo a few months ago, fell in love with it, and had to also get an SD-45 head just last week.

I have played a LOT of amplifiers, but I have to say, the SD series (at least the SD-18 and 45) have the best effects loops I have ever tried.

To put this in perspective, I have also an SLO-100 Soldano amp that I love, and found out if I use the effects loop of it, I lose "tone" and the sound that I love...not much but enough that I decided to not use the effects loop.

But with the SD series, even though I would have no problem just using wah, fuzz, OD (I don't really need OD either but for a third sound it can be cool) on input, and I don't really miss reverb, delay...I don't feel like the effects loop of the SD series loses anything. I think it works just about perfect...no loss of tone, but very nice to have delay and reverb in the loop.

Just my experience. It's been a year now, what did the OP find out about the effects loop?
Back to top Go down
lefty3069

PostSubject: Effects loop- or straight in no nonsense   Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 5:24 am

I'm using a RMC wah and Fulltone mini deja vibe in the front of my amp and a Hardwire delay/looper and MK 4.23 boost in the effects loop of my SD30 II head. I found the boost was totally different in the loop all it does is adds tons of volume boost without coloring my tone when going thru the loop but when going into the front end of the amp it mostly added more gain and a slight volume boost and thats not what I was going for. Now I have to keep the boost knob on like 7-8 o-clock and its a huge boost in volume for my leads and doesn't mess with my tone or add unnecessary gain. If you can find a MK 4.23 boost pedal I highly recomend one I tried several boosts and this one was hands down the best. The deja vibe to me sounded much better going thru the front of the amp and not so good thru the loop go figure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?   Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense? Empty

Back to top Go down

Stomp boxes - Effects Loop - or straight in no nonsense?
Page 1 of 1