Budda Amp Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Budda Amp Forum

Discussion of Budda amps

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Phat Speaker break in time?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
yardbird mac

Phat Speaker break in time? Empty
PostSubject: Phat Speaker break in time?   Phat Speaker break in time? EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 5:33 pm

Greetings:

Since I've only had my SD-18 a couple days, I was wondering how long it takes the Phat speaker to break in. and does it mellow out some when broken in? To me, it sounds a little "stiff" & shrill.I've been thinking about trying one of my EMINENCE Cannabis Rex Speakers in this amp to soften up the tone (just a little).
Back to top Go down
Riff Blister

PostSubject: Re: Phat Speaker break in time?   Phat Speaker break in time? EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 9:34 pm

I think the Cannabis Rex would be a good choice. I'd give that Phat speaker a little time first before I bailed on it though. I hear they are decent speakers once they break in.

I'm using a pair of Scumback M75 speakers with my SD45II and I just love them.
I guess they are built to pre Rola "Greenback" specs. From the good old days (60s-70s).

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/index.html

I actually bought them to help take away the "ice picks" from my Mesa Stiletto DeuceII.
They did an awesome job with that amp.

Riff
Back to top Go down
Lance-a-not

PostSubject: Re: Phat Speaker break in time?   Phat Speaker break in time? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 7:58 am

yardbird mac wrote:
Greetings:

Since I've only had my SD-18 a couple days, I was wondering how long it takes the Phat speaker to break in. and does it mellow out some when broken in? To me, it sounds a little "stiff" & shrill.I've been thinking about trying one of my EMINENCE Cannabis Rex Speakers in this amp to soften up the tone (just a little).

I have not tried the Can-rex, but I can say the Budda speakers do take a while to break in.
My 2x12 SD30 combo speakers are really well broken in and they definitely sound better and smoother

Back to top Go down
yardbird mac

PostSubject: Re: Phat Speaker break in time?   Phat Speaker break in time? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 4:32 am

Well... I tried the Cannabis Rex yesterday and immediately put the OE speaker back in. The CR didn't seem to have the same punch as the original speaker.
Back to top Go down
yardbird mac

PostSubject: Re: Phat Speaker break in time?   Phat Speaker break in time? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 2:47 pm

I have to retract what I said about the EMINENCE Cannabis Rex not sounding that good. Today I installed one that is well broken in and it sounds great!!! It took out that "ice Pick" high end and gave the amp a nice creamy mid and a little less harsh sounding bass. On the other hand, the Phat 12 sounds great in my FENDER Pro Tube Pro Reverb. So... I'm going to break in the Phat 12 in the FENDER amp and see how that goes.
Back to top Go down
yardbird mac

PostSubject: Re: Phat Speaker break in time?   Phat Speaker break in time? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Well... the Phat 12 has finally started to "break in". It took a long time, but the tone I've gotten out of that amp over the past couple days is phenomenal! The drive channel has developed a nice low end punch and the clean channel rings out with a real sweet "chime". Patience pays off and I'm glad I stuck with the Phat 12!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phat Speaker break in time?   Phat Speaker break in time? Empty

Back to top Go down

Phat Speaker break in time?
Page 1 of 1